California’s working families are struggling. The high cost of living makes balancing workplace demands and family caregiving responsibilities harder than ever – especially for the state’s large and growing low wage workforce.
Too many of California’s working families are forced to choose between keeping their jobs and caring for their families’ health. In this challenging economy, preserving quality jobs is critical—jobs that allow workers both to support their families and be productive employees. Transformative, enforceable public policies are needed to make our workplaces work for today’s California families.
All working families have fundamental rights to financially sustain and to care for themselves and their loved ones. We support policies that help California workers preserve their jobs and fulfill their caregiving responsibilities.
The Coalition's Paid Leave for All Platform includes:
1. Pass and enforce job protection
2. Ensure adequate wage replacement for low wage workers
3. Highlight and expand family caregivers' right to take Paid Family Leave
4. Allow care for chosen family
5. Include public employees and independent contractors
6. Expand paid leave while maintaining SDI fund solvency
7. Increase awareness and take up of Paid Family Leave
8. Include community voices at the table and incorporate their input
See the Coalition's Paid Leave for All Platform for our policy recommendations.
From History Channel's HistoryNow: Out of 190 countries, only four do not mandate paid time off for new parents – and the U.S. is one of them. Danny Contreras, a father of 6 and member of the CA Work & Family Coalition, is using his personal experiences to draw attention to the issue.